|“||There it is, the mischievous yo-yo! Yo-Yo Up, Yo-Yo Orbit, Break Spin, Walk the Dog—it's all child's play! Add an attribute to make it even more powerful. With a variety of moves at your disposal, looking cool has never been easier.”|
|— Flavor Text • Kirby Star Allies|
When Kirby becomes a yo-yo trick-master he wears a backwards purple cap (differentiating from the Wheel ability's red cap) and wields a typical red and white yo-yo as his weapon. In Kirby Star Allies, Kirby's cap now has white on the back with a purple star, similarly to Wheel's cap from Kirby: Triple Deluxe. He also gains a bandage on his right cheek.
Kirby combines break-dance moves with yo-yo tricks as means of attack with this ability. His basic attack involves throwing his yo-yo as a projectile in any direction. This isn't all he can do with it, as he can also grab his enemies with his yo-yo and drop them to deal huge damage, or use his yo-yo to do a showy spin jump. In a pinch, he can retreat or move forwards with a Break Spin.
|Yo-yo Throw||B||Kirby throws his yo-yo out which damages any enemy who comes into contact.||16||16|
|Break Spin/Jump Spin||Dash + B||Kirby does a breakdancing spin on his yoyo. If done in the air, Kirby has more momentum and does slightly more damage.||10 (grounded), 12 (aerial)||20|
|Up throw attack/Yo-yo Up||Up + B||Kirby throws his yo-yo above him, damaging any enemy who comes into contact with it.||18||18|
|Down throw attack/Yo-yo Down||Down + B||Kirby throws his yo-yo in a small arch downwards, damaging any enemy who comes into contact with it.||18||N/A|
|Yo-Yo Orbit||Down + B||Kirby throws his yo-yo in a circle around him.||N/A||18|
|Hammer Drop||Forward/Up/Down + B (Near enemy)||Kirby grabs enemies or mid-bosses (the latter only when defeated), and slams them against the ground.||60||16 (held enemy), 45 (slam, thrown object)|
|Gazer Spiral||Down + (Up + B together)||Kirby spins around in the air, using his yo-yo as a weapon, and damages any enemies that come in contact with him. After the move, he is left vulnerable. At the highest point of his attack, the two stars that spin with him go opposite directions, and have the range to hit both Twin Woods if used in the center.||26 (going up, stars); 6 (going down)||16 (all hits)|
|Walk the Dog||Down + (Press and hold B)||Kirby holds his yo-yo in place on the area directly in front of Kirby. The yo-yo will stay in place, even if (without moving) Kirby raises up or falls down, although the yo-yo will come back to Kirby if it strays too far away from Kirby.||N/A||16|
|Dog Walker||Walk the Dog + Foward/Backwards||After performing Walk the Dog, Kirby can move both left and right while still holding B. If Kirby is some how seperated from his yo-yo, as long as the yo-yo is within the vicinity of Kirby, you can still move both yourself and the yo-yo.||N/A||16|
Elemental Attributes in Kirby Star Allies
|Using the yo-yo||The yo-yo is white, and is covered in ice.||The yo-yo is green, and is surrounded by a miniature whirlwind.||The yo-yo is red, and is covered in flames.||The yo-yo is blue, and is encased in a bubble of water.||The yo-yo is green, and is surrounded by electric sparks.|
|Yo-Yo Throw||N/A||Kirby's descent is slowed if used in midair.||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Yo-Yo Up||N/A||Kirby's descent is slowed if used in midair.||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Yo-Yo Orbit||The yo-yo leaves a pile of damaging ice on either side of Kirby.||The yo-yo stirs up a small burst of air around Kirby.||The yo-yo leaves a trail of flame on the ground to either side of Kirby.||The yo-yo releases a burst of water to either side of Kirby.||The yo-yo leaves a trail of sparks behind on the ground to either side of Kirby.|
|Walk the Dog/Dog Walker||The yo-yo becomes an icicle, and it leaves a trail of damaging ice on the ground when it is moved.||Kirby is able to walk faster than usual.||The yo-yo bursts into flame, and leaves a trail of fire on the ground.||The yo-yo constantly spouts water upward.||The yo-yo periodically summons a bolt of lightning down onto itself from a random angle.|
|Break Spin/Jump Spin||Kirby leaves a trail of damaging ice behind him on the ground.||Kirby stirs up a small whirlwind around himself, and gains slightly more lift with Jump Spin.||Kirby creates a small explosion at the beginning of the move, leaves a trail of fire on the ground as he spins, and ends by creating a large explosion.||Kirby releases two water drops that splash onto the ground, one to either side of himself, and leaves a trail of water on the ground behind him as he spins.||At the end of the move, Kirby summons down a vertical lightning bolt onto himself, creating a large electrical explosion.|
|Hammer Drop||The enemy or object thrown has the properties of an ice projectile.||The enemy or object thrown has the properties of a wind projectile.||The enemy or object thrown has the properties of a fire projectile.||The enemy or object thrown has the properties of a water projectile.||The enemy or object thrown has the properties of an electrical projectile.|
|Gazer Spiral||Kirby builds up a pile of ice as he shoots upward, and at the apex of his jump, shatters some of the ice, releasing four chunks of ice, two to either side of himself.||Kirby starts out slow and picks up speed, creating a cyclone around himself as he rises.||Kirby creates a trail of fire as he rises, and at the peak of the jump, releases four fireballs that arc downward, two to either side of himself.||Kirby creates a cyclone of water as he rises, and at the apex of the move, releases four water drops, two to either side of himself.||Kirby summons a lightning bolt onto himself as he starts, then shoots a lightning bolt to either side of himself at the top of the jump; each lightning bolt creates a large electrical explosion.|
In the Super Smash Bros. series
|Use the awesome Yo-Yo to defeat your enemies in style!|
|This isn't just any yo-yo! Swing up and down, or break-spin! Try 'em all to look cool!|
|There it is, the mischievous yo-yo! Yo-Yo Up, Yo-Yo Orbit, Break Spin, Walk the Dog—it's all child's play! Add an attribute to make it even more powerful. With a variety of moves at your disposal, looking cool has never been easier.|
|“||Attack foes with yo-yo tricks and spins!”|
|— Kirby Battle Royale - Kirby's 25th Anniversary Copy Ability Poll|
In Other Languages
|Names, etymology and in other regions|
|Language||Name||Definition, etymology and notes|
|Japanese||Translates to Yo-Yo.|
|Traditional Chinese||Translates to Yo-Yo.|
|Simplified Chinese||Translates to Yo-Yo.|
|Korean||Translates to Yo-Yo.|
|Russian||Translates to Yo-Yo.|
|German||Jo-Jo||Translates to Yo-Yo.|
|Dutch||Jojo||Translates to Yo-Yo.|
|French||Yoyo||Translates to Yo-Yo.|
|Italian||Yoyò||Translates to Yo-Yo.|
|Yoyó||Translates to Yo-Yo.|
|Yoyo||Translates to Yo-Yo.|
- The yo-yo, the ability cap, and the background of the ability picture are all direct references to EarthBound. The background depicts EarthBound's menu screen, and the yo-yo and ability cap come from Ness, who wears a remarkably similar cap and often uses a yo-yo as a weapon. This can be seen as an example of HAL referencing one of its own other games, because HAL was a co-developer of EarthBound, along with Ape (later known as Creatures, Inc.).
- When Kirby inhales Ness in the Super Smash Bros. games, he wears Ness' sideways hat backwards, as if it was the Yo-Yo hat. Coincidentally, both Kirby and Ness are voiced by Makiko Ohmoto.
- This is one of two abilities that reference EarthBound; the other being the ESP ability in Kirby: Planet Robobot.
- Although the Yo-Yo ability was almost certainly intended as a direct reference to EarthBound, the idea of a yo-yo being used as a weapon was originally popularized in Japan by the Sukeban Deka manga series and its film adaptations.
- Yo-Yo Kirby's hat is the same as those of Paint and Wheel Kirby's hats, but in a different color (Paint's is gray, Wheel's is red).
- Yo-Yo is one of the five abilities in Kirby Super Star (Ultra) that don't appear in the anime, the other four being Suplex, Beam, Copy, and Plasma.
- Though most of the artwork depicts the yo-yo having a star on it, it didn't have one in-game until Kirby Star Allies.
- In the 25th Anniversary Poll that ran on the Official Kirby Website, Yo-Yo was unveiled on November 7, 2017 to have been the second place winner.
- The yo-yo Kirby uses was originally depicted as an "imperial" shape yo-yo, but has been changed into a "modified" shaped yo-yo in later artwork.
- In Kirby Super Star/Kirby Super Star Ultra, the Break Spin was notable for not involving the yo-yo at all. This is changed in Kirby Star Allies, where Kirby actually spins on the yo-yo.