|“||It seems the fated time is here at last. We, the three Mage-Sisters, will bring this battle to its end... ONCE AND FOR ALL!”|
|— Zan Partizanne and her sisters • Kirby Star Allies|
The Three Mage-Sisters, also titled as Repentant Retaliators and sometimes known as the Jambastion mages or the Three Generals of Magic, are characters that appear in the Kirby series, debuting as secondary antagonists in Kirby Star Allies, but would later become allies. They are followers of Hyness and priestesses of the Jambastion Religion.
The blue Mage-Sister, Francisca, wields a snowflake labrys, a double-sided axe, and uses ice magic. She can manipulate the size of the axe’s head and throw it like a giant disk. She can also use a soda shooter to shoot a long stream of soda that bounces off the floor and ceiling; this causes dark blue stars to appear, and swallowing them grants the Water ability. Her giant disk and icicle launch attacks make light blue stars appear, which grant the Ice ability. She is known as the Frozen General, or the Bringer of Icy Doom.
The red Mage-Sister, Flamberge, wields a flamberge, a wave-bladed sword, and also uses fire magic. One attack includes using a cannon that shoots a long and wide stream of fire directly ahead. This attack creates red stars which grant the Fire ability when swallowed. She’s supposed to be looking for dark hearts, but Flamberge has found her way to a nice, toasty spot and is taking a bit of a break. She is known as the Blazing General, or the Bringer of Flame.
The yellow Mage-Sister, Zan Partizanne, wields a partisan, a type of polearm, and uses electric magic. Her attacks with her thunder drums can create green stars which give the Plasma ability, or orange stars which give the Beam ability. She is the dutiful leader of the three Jambastion mages. At the bidding of Hyness, she hunts for dark hearts. She is known as the Lightning General, or the Bringer of Shock.
Before the events of Kirby Star Allies, the Three Mage-Sisters were once ordinary girls on the brink of death. Francisca nearly froze to death in a snowstorm, Flamberge nearly suffocated in a fire, and Zan Partizanne nearly drew her last breath after being struck by lightning while desperately climbing after she lost everything. However, before they could depart from the world, Hyness arrived in the nick of time and saved their lives by granting them the powers of ice, fire, and electricity, respectively. Thus, the three of them became Hyness’s followers, admiring him for rescuing them.
At the beginning of Kirby Star Allies, Hyness attempts to resurrect Void Termina, the god of their religion, by breaking the seal of his vessel, the Jamba Heart. However, Hyness did not fully understand how to break the seal, and as a result, accidentally shattered it, sending its shards across the galaxy. Thus, on behalf of Hyness, the Three Mage-Sisters set out on a mission to retrieve the Jamba Heart shards in order to resurrect Void Termina.
Each of the Three Mage-Sisters are first fought on Jambastion. After Kirby and friends have defeated Meta Knight, the Three Mage-Sisters land their Jambastion Fortress on Planet Popstar in search of any Jamba Heart shards that were on it. Kirby and friends face them one by one while invading the fortress, first fighting Francisca, who explains their plan to them and warns them not to interfere before subsequently attacking them. She is defeated, and retreats while holding a Jamba Heart shard. The heroes then face Flamberge, who is absolutely furious that they hurt Francisca, and attacks them in a rage. Like Francisca, Flamberge is defeated, and retreats while holding a Jamba Heart shard. Kirby and friends eventually face Zan Partizanne, who remarks that she underestimated them, and attacks in order to end the threat they pose. However, she is also defeated, but before she retreated with a Jamba Heart shard in her grasp, she destroys the Jambastion in an attempt to bury the heroes along with it, forcing them to escape.
Each of them are then fought once more in Far-Flung - Starlight Heroes. Kirby and friends encounter Francisca on Blizzno Moon, where she is continuing her hunt for the Jamba Heart shards. She attacks the heroes, but is defeated once again and sent flying. They then encounter Flamberge on Sizzlai Moon, where she is slacking off and taking a break. Like Francisca, Flamberge is defeated and is sent flying. Kirby and friends then make their way to The Divine Terminus, where Hyness is performing a ritual that is repairing the Jamba Heart with its shards. However, before the heroes could stop him, Zan Partizanne appears and blocks their way, and the five engage in a fight.
Zan is defeated, and she begs Hyness for his help before losing consciousness, but Hyness, displeased with the interruption, bats her aside to face the heroes himself. Hyness was then bested by the heroes, but then proceeds to summon the Mage-Sisters to him. He then drains their life force to restore his own, rendering the Mage-Sisters unconscious. Hyness and the heroes fight again, with the former using the Mage-Sisters' unconscious bodies as living weapons. When they are defeated, Hyness throws the Three Mage-Sisters, still unconscious, into the incomplete Jamba Heart on the altar, and soon dives into it himself, reviving the Dark Lord, Void Termina.
When Kirby and friends face Void Termina, they go inside of him to battle his heart. They find the Three Mage-Sisters, along with Hyness, trapped inside internal cocoons. After releasing the core, everyone, including the Three Mage-Sisters and Hyness, are ejected out of Void Termina. The sisters and Hyness aren’t seen again until the story’s continuation in Heroes in Another Dimension.
|Spoiler alert: Plot-specific details are within this box|
The Three Mage-Sisters appear in the sub-game as the sixth and final boss. At some point after the events of the Main Story, it is revealed Hyness somehow fell into a portal to Another Dimension, and the Three Mage-Sisters pursue him. They finally find him a few moments after Kirby and friends defeat him. They lament over his current state, before directing their rage towards Kirby and friends. Now calling Kirby out by name for the first time, they launch an all-out attack on him and his friends, and after a hard-fought battle, they are defeated. If the player has collected 100 or more Friend Hearts, they all merge into one giant heart, which Kirby throws at the mages. If not, Kirby and friends simply walks away, and dark aura comes out from their body before the screen turns dark. After the Friend Heart is thrown at them, the sisters wake up and are restored to their original colors. After some thinking, they then nod their heads in agreement and presumably say a prayer of sorts, which turns the dark battlefield into a brightly-lit arena. The Warp Star then descends from the sky, and the heroes hop on. Before leaving, Kirby waves goodbye to the sisters and the Warp Star takes off, leaving behind a small heart that slowly falls onto Hyness. Hyness then wakes up, restored to his former glory, and the sisters run up to him in joy and presumably tell him what had happened as the screen fades to black. It is unknown if the sisters and Hyness decided to live on Planet Popstar with Kirby afterwards, but the 100% completion picture for Heroes in Another Dimension shows that they are now on good terms with each other.
|End of spoilers|
As a Dream Friend
The Three Mage-Sisters also appear as Dream Friends in Kirby Star Allies’s third update, where they are paired together as a single character. The player can switch between them at will, unlike the other paired Dream Friends. Each Mage-Sister has their own unique moveset, and their moves consist of attacks from their boss fights. They are locked until the player completes Heroes in Another Dimension with at least 100 Friend Hearts collected. All of them give a certain element as indicated by the element icon when selected; Francisca gives the Blizzard element (however, she also provides the Splash element with her Shaken Soda Blaster attack), Flamberge gives the Sizzle element, and Zan Partizanne gives the Zap element.
All three of the Mage-Sisters appear as village residents in Super Kirby Clash. Francisca and Flamberge become residents of the Port Village after Parallel Nightmare is defeated in The Empyrean, and can be seen sitting on a ledge to the right, with Flamberge talking to Francisca. Zan Partizanne becomes a resident of the Castle Village after all Party Quests unlocked by clearing Story Quests are completed, and can be seen sitting on a bench to the right. The three of them also appear as individual stickers, which can be purchased from the Shoppe for 30 Gem Apples each.
|Cisca Slash||B||Francisca slashes with her labrys.||16|
|Cisca Dash||Dash + B||Francisca lunges forward with her labrys.||16|
|Cisca Uppercut||↑ + B||Francisca swings her labrys up into the air, creating a body of ice on the ground.||16|
|Cisca Slam||↓ + B after Cisca Uppercut||Francisca flips and smashes her labrys on the ground. If the ice is still around and she smashes her labrys on it, she will shatter the ice and send three ice chunks tumbling along the ground.||24, 32 (landing)|
|Deadly Ice Candy||↓ + B in midair||Francisca summons three icicles to rain down on opponents.||16 (coming down and on ground)|
|Frozen Gelato||Press and hold B, then release||Francisca launches her labrys' head at opponents, catching them in it and rebounding it off walls.||24|
|Shaken Soda Blaster||↓ then press and hold ↑ + B and release||Francisca grabs her soda gun, shakes it, and fires it. Can be aimed up and down while firing. Unlike all of her other attacks, this gives the Splash element.||16|
|Elegant Escape||L / R + Move||Francisca floats a huge distance while dodging.||0|
|Berge Slash||B, then B again||Flamberge slashes with her sword, upward on the first press and downward on the second.||24|
|Berge Rush||B after Berge Slash||Flamberge then thrusts her sword forward multiple times.||24|
|Berge Finish||B after Berge Rush||Flamberge finishes enemies off with an upward slice that sends a spreadshot of fireballs.||42 (slash), 16 (fireball)|
|Flam Flambé||Dash + (hold) B||Flamberge digs her sword into the ground and dashes forward with it, causing flames to erupt from the ground. When the button is released, she slashes upward.||16 (sword), 24 (finish), 12 (fire)|
|BBQ Skewer||↓ + B in midair, B to fire||Flamberge stabs downward, then stays in place to fire a blazing rock when the button is pressed. If an enemy is below her, Flamberge will capture the enemy and send it flying instead.||16 (falling), 24 (landing), 24 (swing), 32 (flung rock/enemy)|
|Scorching Sword Plunge||↑ + B in midair||Flamberge plunges four flaming swords into the ground; two to her left, two to her right.||16 (sword), 12 (fire)|
|Mega Broiler||↓, then ↑ + B||Flamberge takes out her oven cannon, the Mega Broiler, and lets it loose on her opponents. While it's firing, it can be moved around freely.||32|
|Burst Jump||↑ + B||Flamberge jumps upward with a flaming burst.||16|
|Burst Step||L / R + ←/→||Flamberge dodges a slightly longer distance than most Friends can. Can only do this on the ground.||0|
|Zan Partizanne's Moveset|
|Zan Zlash||B, then B again||Zan Partizanne slashes twice with her partisan. Can be repeated easily.||16|
|Zan Ztab||↓ + B in midair||Zan Partizanne stabs downward, much like Spear's Moon Drop.||16|
|Zan Zkewers||Dash + B||Zan Partizanne thrusts her partisan multiple times, ending with an electric thrust that sends a lightning bolt.||16 (start), 32 (finish)|
|Lightning Lemonade||Hold ↑ + B||Zan Partizanne summons a storm cloud which strikes to her left and right as long as the button is held. Can move freely in any direction while active.||24 (spear), 12 (cloud), 24 (thunder)|
|Drum N Waste||↓ → + B repeatedly||Zan Partizanne takes out her thunder drums and launches balls of electricity as long as the player is repeatedly pressing the button. Can be moved around freely.||32|
|Electro Eclair||↓ then ↑ + B||Zan Partizanne tosses her partisan through her drums, creating a giant electrical laser that can be moved freely.|
|Lightning Dodge||L / R + Move||Zan Partizanne can dodge lightning-fast like her boss fights. Must start command on the ground.||0|
|Sister Tag||↓ + B||The three Mage-Sisters high-five each other to tag in, in a set order: Francisca > Flamberge > Zan Partizanne.|
|Sister Circle||Hold ↓ + B then release||The three Mage-Sisters perform their variation of the Friend Circle to wipe out enemies on-screen. After use, it must recharge before being available again.|
In the Super Smash Bros. series
The Three Mage-Sisters appear as a single Advanced-class support spirit in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate which can be obtained by fighting a team of three female Robins with the yellow, red, and pink palettes respectively. The Robins have increased power in their special moves. Their spirit, when applied, increases the applied user's power when using battering items.
|“||The fierce sisters are fired up for their final fight! Pursuit of their master has led to the border of another dimension, only to find him a shadow of his former self. Can their one wish restore him to glory? Dare they dream of the happiest ending?”|
|— VS The Three Mage-Sisters • Kirby Star Allies|
|“||Your Friend Hearts have brought a miracle. The Three Mage-Sisters are now Dream Friends!”|
|— The Three Mage-Sisters! • Kirby Star Allies|
|“||The Jambastion Mages, who are the boss Generals, are referred to as "three sisters" in one of the pause screens. So are they actually siblings or members of a sisterhood of mages? Just like Kirby and Meta Knight's secrets, this is another mystery that stirs the imagination! In the Japanese version of the game, a pause screen says Zan Partizanne was taken in by Hyness, and had sworn loyalty to Hyness after she had received powerful magic. Comparing Hyness's true face and hers, it looks like they're from different races though.”|
|— Kirby Star Allies Channel Update 5|
|“Song of Supplication”|
|“Forgotizanne Flash of Lightning”|
|“Passion of the Tridental Flashing Mages”|
- Unlike other bosses, when any of the Mage-Sisters are defeated, instead of the Jamba Heart floating away, they grab it and take it with them.
- While they are called "sisters" in the pause description of Hyness's second phase, the word might not necessarily mean that they are siblings. The word could refer to a religious order, which is typically used to refer to nuns, as the three of them are priestesses. In the 5th Kirby Star Allies Channel update, Shinya Kumazaki intentionally kept it ambigious which one it is.
- Despite this, Kumazaki has also stated that he wanted Zan Partizanne's name to sound as though she and the other two were of different births, which would imply no blood relation between them.
- More evidence that they are not sisters is the fact that in Heroes in Another Dimension, Francisca refers to Flamberge as “Ms. Flamberge.” It is normally unusual for siblings to use prefixes to address each other. Similarily, in the Japanese version, none of the mages refer to one another with honorifics that would normally be used for siblings.
- Additionally, Francisca and Flamberge are heavily implied to be in a relationship with each other. If they were to actually be sisters, it would undoubtedly cause some unwanted controversy.
- However, Nintendo of America published a poll asking fans which Nintendo family "would be the most fun," and included "Francisca and her sisters." This may imply that the mages are actual sisters, although there is more evidence that supports the opposite.
- As the Three Mage-Sisters have very similar moves to each other, some of their maneuvers become questionable due to the weapons they wield.
- Francisca uses a thrusting attack despite wielding an axe, which is supposed to be used for chopping. A halberd would be suitable for thrusting, but it is classified as a pole-axe, not an axe.
- Zan Partizanne uses slashing attacks despite wielding a partisan, a polearm that is designed for thrusting (although its protrusions were made to parry sword attacks).
- As Flamberge's sword functions as both a longsword and a rapier, both slicing and thrusting moves are accurate to its usage.
- The Three Mage-Sisters have elemental weaknesses, which can stun them while they are performing their special attacks. Francisca can be stunned when using a move with the Zap element on her soda beam attack, Flamberge can be stunned when using the Blizzard, Bluster, or Splash elements, as well as Artist or Adeleine's paint attacks, while charging her Mega Broiler, and Zan Partizanne can be stunned when using a Splash element or paint attack on her drums.
- They can also be affected by their weakness during Hyness's second phase, although they can still hurt Kirby and co. when they are at the stage. However, they will recharge if Hyness pulls them back to him.
- Each of the Mage-Sisters' weapons could represent one of the three main weapons of the Fire Emblem weapon triangle: Francisca has an axe, Flamberge has a sword, and Zan Partizanne has a lance.
- As of version 4.0.0, they are the fourth overall boss whose name in the boss splash screen is shown to have flames, which was originally exclusive to Void Termina and Void Soul. The others are Corrupt Hyness and Void.
- If the player does not collect enough Friend Hearts, then Kirby and co. simply walk away, and a dark aura comes out from the Mage-Sisters' bodies before the screen turns dark. This could imply how they obtained their different colors when being fought in Heroes in Another Dimension.￼
- When swapping between the Three Mage-Sisters as a Dream Friend, a unique animation will play. Instead of immediately turning into the Mage-Sister being swapped to, the sister being swapped to dashes in from behind and swings their weapon before giving a high-five to the current sister, who then quickly flies away into the sky.
- The Three Mage-Sisters are the hosts that run the official Kirby Twitter account when it comes to content regarding Kirby Star Allies.
- There is a 25% chance for The Three Mage-Sisters to replace the Waddle Doo, Waddle Dee, and Burning Leo that typically appear in the background of the game's Sound Test once the "Happy Ending" is achieved in Heroes in Another Dimension. This also occurs in Theater.