|“||This villain of Treat Land has more than a few tricks up his sleeve!”|
|— Cast Description • Kirby's Epic Yarn|
Squashini is the third boss appearing in the game Kirby's Epic Yarn. He is the boss of Treat Land and the third boss to be faced by Kirby and Prince Fluff in the game. He shares the name with the stage he appears in, which follows Melody Town and preceeds Cocoa Station.
Squashini is a magician-like being. He has an orange jack-o-lantern for a head, complete with glaring yellow eyes and an evil grin. He wears a black and white cape with a red bow tie. Squashini also wears a black top hat with a gray band and a pink rose on it. Squashini appears to have no arms or legs, but he has a wand that he uses to determine and conjure his attacks with the slot reels.
Squashini relies on a giant slot machine. But, like previous bosses, even this battle follows a set pattern most of the time. The pictures that line up in the middle of the roulette determine what his attacks are going to be. The pattern goes as follows:
- Three hats: Squashini goes into his hat, and then summons two other identical copies of it. The hats exchange places, and then the player is allowed to pick one up and see what's underneath. Inside one is Squashini, but in the others are either Flamers or a Rolling Clod. If the correct hat is picked, Squashini will be rendered hatless, allowing the heroes to damage him. Unlike other cases where his hat pops off, Squashini actually tries to flee. The Waddle Dees in the audience will watch which hat Squashini is in.
- Three cards: Squashini will throw some cards at Kirby and Prince Fluff. Before each throw, he shifts the cards around his body. His first card barrage will involve him flicking his wand, causing the cards to be tossed forward. His second barrage involves him throwing three cards in a wall formation. These cards can be grabbed and thrown back at him in order to stun him and reveal his weak spot.
- Three capes: Squashini turns his wand into a cape and uses it to throw out bombs. He balances the first one on the cape for a few seconds, then shifts it, tossing his bombs. They can be grabbed and thrown at him to reveal his weak spot. After the attack finishes, his wand will revert to a cape.
After Squashini finishes his cape attack, the pattern begins anew, starting with the hat attack and begins to cycle through again. The bead combination is never used, and the pumpkin head is only used for Squashini to appear during his intro cutscene.
There are three aforementioned ways to reveal the boss' weakspot: a button underneath his hat. Once Kirby and Prince Fluff knocks his hat off, they can grab the button and throw him against the wall to damage him. This must be done three times in order to defeat him, earning Kirby and Prince Fluff the fourth strand of magic yarn. Upon pulling at the button and throwing him, Squashini's slot machine will match three ropes. Squashini then lowers the curtain, a scuffle is heard, then he raises the curtain. Kirby (and Prince Fluff) will then be shown to have been captured and tied up to a large bomb. In order to avoid getting damage, the player must press and hold the jump button (or shake the Wii Remote/mash the +Control Pad). After the hero(es) escape(s), Squashini will get nervous and fly offscreen for cover while the character(s) hide from the bomb. Kirby (and/or Prince Fluff) can hit the bomb's bell to earn beads; when the bomb explodes, any uncollected beads will vanish.
Squashini's name is a portmanteau of the word "squash," which is the same family as pumpkins, referencing his appearance, and Houdini, the famous magician and escape artist.
Squashini’s Japanese name, Lumpkin (ランプキン), is a portmanteau of the words “lump,” a protuberance on the surface of an object or being, and “pumpkin,” a large, round, and orange fruit, also referencing his appearance.
- The method of using a slot machine to decide attacks is similar to King Boo's boss fight in the game Super Mario Sunshine.
- Squashini is notable for being the only Halloween and holiday-themed boss in the series.
- There are three Star Bead symbols on Squashini's slot machine, but they never get landed on during his boss fight.