|“||That's it! That's the Magic Yarn!”|
|— Prince Fluff • to Kirby, Kirby's Epic Yarn|
Prince Fluff is a character appearing in Kirby's Epic Yarn. He is the prince of Patch Land. Prince Fluff has all the abilities that Kirby has, and is the playable character controlled by the second player.
After Yin-Yarn sucks Kirby into Patch Land through his magical sock, Kirby notices a "blue yarn boy" being chased by a yarn enemy, and promptly transforms into his car form and drives away with him. Thankful for the help, the boy introduces himself as Prince Fluff, and after a sequence of events, Kirby vows to help Prince Fluff defeat Yin-Yarn and make Patch Land peaceful once again.
He was originally intended as the main character of Kirby's Epic Yarn (then titled Fluff of Yarn / Fluff's Epic Yarn) but was subsequently given a supporting role once the game was given the Kirby branding.
Physical Appearance and Personality
Prince Fluff is similar to Kirby in shape and size. He is blue in color, has orange feet, and permanently wears a yellow felt crown, but doesn't have Kirby's characteristic pink cheek blushes. Prince Fluff has eyes similar to the anime-helper version of Knuckle Joe's and Bronto Burt's. He wears a permanent scowl during gameplay for an unknown reason.
Prince Fluff has a similar personality to Kirby's. Like Kirby he adores eating (although he can't eat as much) and he also is slightly smarter or more serious (or both) than Kirby. He is also very playful like Kirby and seems more innocent like when he was chased by a monster and Kirby saved him, or when he was attacked by another monster and Kirby saved him again. Unlike most royal characters, he doesn't explain himself to be the leader of Patch Land.
- Kirby's transformation powers are granted by eating Yin-Yarn's Metamato, but Prince Fluff can perform all the equivalent transformations seemingly without using any power-up. Transformation is either Prince Fluff's innate ability, or is available to everyone in Patch Land, although nobody but Kirby and Prince Fluff ever transform in the game.
- Although Prince Fluff introduces himself as Prince and told Kirby that Patch Castle is his home, the events in the game and Prince Fluff himself do not directly imply that he is the ruler of Patch Land nor clarify his responsibilities. Whether or not the King and Queen of Patch Land exist is unknown, as they are never introduced.
- Prince Fluff is originally made of yarn, and remains yarn even when Dream Land transforms around him after Yin-Yarn's defeat.
- Prince Fluff appears to be fiercely independent at the start of the game as he says to Kirby, "Thanks for your help, not that I needed it." However, he turns out to believe the moral, "a friend in need is a friend indeed!", by showing Kirby how to get food in Patch Land (subsequently shaking Kirby out of a tree and being chased all over Patch Land).
- Prince Fluff's picture is hung right next to Kirby's apartment, most likely meaning he's welcome to stay there as well. This picture shows him completely colored-in.
- A stone carving of a figure that resembles Prince Fluff can be found in the background of Cool Cave. The one depicted in the carving may have been one of his ancestors.
- Prince Fluff was originally suppose to be the main character of Kirby's Epic Yarn, when the game was called "Keito no Fluff" during development.