To do this, Kirby inhales any object, ability star, or regular enemy, but then holds it above his head instead of swallowing it. In this state, Kirby cannot float but can otherwise move around, and he can do either one of two things with the overhead object—put it back into his mouth or throw it. Depending on what the object is, either holding it or throwing it may have slightly different effects, but for the vast majority of objects they either have no effect or behave the way as if they were spit out, for holding and throwing respectively.
Kirby can once again grab and hold objects above his head, and throw them, in Kirby Battle Royale. Items are picked up with R, and thrown with B or Y.
|This section is a stub - It needs expansion!|
Neither bosses nor mid-bosses can be inhaled in Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards, so only regular enemies can be lifted. If the enemy is thrown, it can deal damage to bosses/mid-bosses, defeat a regular enemy, or (if a Power Combo is valid) combine with an enemy to form a Power Combo star. Some enemies cannot be held as they cannot be inhaled. Many regular enemies have a specific effect when lifted:
- Bronto Burt flutters its wings if Kirby tries to hold it, bringing Kirby a good distance off the ground. When thrown it flies horizontally until it disappears.
- Spark-i fires three sparks horizontally in a spread.
- Bouncy falls and bounces along the ground when thrown.
- Glunk rapidly fires projectiles upwards when held.
- Mite burrows into the ground if he touches it.
- Tick actively attacks enemies with his upright needle when held, it also sticks to walls if thrown at them.
- Cairn falls apart into 3 pieces when thrown and deals damage in a spread.
- Bumber will slow Kirby's descent through the air, much like the Parasol ability does in other games
- Fishbone continually fires its head as a projectile.
- Propeller will fly Kirby off the ground until it hits a ceiling or vertical barrier.
- Bo appears above Kirby's head for only a second before disappearing.
- Kany actively snips at enemies above Kirby.
- Pteran allows Kirby to glide.
- Chilly falls apart into 2 pieces when thrown and deals damage in a spread.
- Drop spills as soon as it is lifted above Kirby's head.
- Sandman collapses as soon as it is lifted above Kirby's head.
- Flopper causes Kirby to swim horizontally at a fast speed.
- Slushy causes Kirby to swim vertically in slow bursts, similar to a jellyfish.
- Flora causes Kirby to fly diagonally upwards for a short period of time.
- Galbo actively breathes fire in front of Kirby.
- Ignus' largest variant is affected by gravity when thrown.
- Magoo disappears soon after being thrown.
- Plugg sticks to walls when thrown at them.