|“||Oh boy! It's the Fighting Copy Ability, complete with tons of techniques! Grab and throw foes with ease. You can even grab and throw... your friends! Throw them against rocks and other things you want to smash.”|
|— Flavor Text • Kirby Star Allies|
Fighter is certainly one of Kirby's most versatile abilities and he can execute many different attacks with it.
Fighter Kirby gains the abilities of a martial artist and boxer, along with being able to fire energy blasts like standard chi/aura fighters, and shows it all off while topped with a red headband. He gains this ability by inhaling enemies with a knack for fighting.
The red headband used by Fighter Kirby is near-identical to the one Kirby used for the Backdrop ability in Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land. Embellishments were added to fighter's headband in Kirby's Return to Dream Land, where it obtained a subtle pink banding along the sides and a frontal yellow star.
(while facing right)
|Vulcan Jab||Press and release B/Y/1||Kirby delivers a series of fast, weak jabs, each releasing a small shockwave. Repeatedly pressing the button will allow the barrage of punches to continue.||None||4 per hit|
|Smash Punch||Press and hold B/Y/1||Kirby throws a forward leaning overhead punch, releasing a powerful blast of energy. It is a one-hit KO on regular enemies.||None||22 (fist)|
|Leg Sweep||Dash + press and release B/Y/1||Kirby slides along the ground, damaging enemies with his extended foot.||None||6 (1st hit)|
5 (2nd, 3rd, 4th hits)
|Spin Kick||Dash + press and hold B/Y/1||Kirby gives a running kick to anything in his path. He is invulnerable during the attack.||None||20 (1st hit early)|
18 (1st hit late)
15 (2nd, 3rd hits)
|Down Kick||Press and release B/Y/1 in midair||Kirby performs a downward kick in midair, damaging enemies below him. Kirby can bounce off of certain targets.||None||18|
|Double Kick||Press and hold B/Y/1 in midair||As Kirby falls he performs a kick and then he fires off a second kick, complete with an energy wave.||None||26 (foot)|
|Rising Break||↑ and hold B/Y/1||Kirby performs a powerful leaping uppercut with his fist engulfed in energy. Hits enemies multiple times. Kirby is invulnerable during the attack.||None||16 (1st hit)|
8 (2nd, 3rd hits)
14 (4th hit)
|Sky Kick||↓ + B/Y/1 in midair||Kirby performs a diving kick, damaging enemies below him. Aside from the added momentum, the move is otherwise identical to Down Kick.||None||18|
|Force Blast||↓ + Hold B/Y/1 (briefly)||Kirby charges an energy blast in his hands before launching it at an enemy.||None||24|
|Mega Force Blast||↓ + Hold B/Y/1 (a bit longer)||Kirby charges a more powerful energy blast in his hands before launching it at an enemy.||None||36|
|Giga Force Blast||↓ + Hold B/Y/1 (even longer) (||Kirby charges a very powerful energy blast in his hands before launching it at an enemy.|
Ability Scroll allows Kirby to perform this attack like normal.
|Instant Mega Force Blast||↓→ + press and hold B/Y/1.||Kirby instantly conjures and fires a Mega Force Blast. It is otherwise identical.||None||36|
|Moon Somersault Kick||None||16|
|Foe Grab||Either ↑/→ + B/Y/1 near an enemy||Kirby grabs a nearby enemy. Prerequisite move before Arm Throw or Judo Throw.||None||36 (held object)|
|Arm Throw||Foe Grab + B/Y/1, or Foe Grab + either ↑/→||Kirby grabs an enemy, star, or defeated mid-boss and tosses or punches them forward. He is invulnerable as long as the enemy is being held.||None||46|
|Judo Throw||Foe Grab + either ↓/←||Kirby grabs an enemy, star, or defeated mid-boss and throws them behind him. He is invulnerable as long as the enemy is being held.||None||52|
|Either ↑/→ + B/Y/1 near an enemy||Kirby takes an enemy or defeated mid-boss, leaps high up into the air, and then slams it into the ground. This move comes from Ninja and works exactly the same.||None|
Kirby Battle Royale Moveset
|Move||Controls||Description||Damage (Robo Bonkers)|
|Quick Jab||B||Kirby does a quick jab in front of him. Similar to an uncharged Force Blast.||30|
|Vulcan Jab||B + B||Kirby rapidly jabs in front of him.||25x4|
|Rising Break||B + B + B||Kirby finishes his rapid jabbing with an uppercut. Similar to Vulcan Jab's follow-up in Kirby & The Amazing Mirror/Kirby: Squeak Squad.||70x3|
|Sky Kick||B during jump||Kirby performs a diving kick.||35|
|Giga Force Blast||Hold/release B||Kirby charges up energy in his hands, and then launches a large fireball.||350|
|Kick||Y||Kirby lunges forward with his foot outstretched. Similar to Leg Sweep.||50|
|Spin Kick||Y + Y||Kirby spins and performs a more powerful kick with his other foot while moving.||60|
|Final Spin Kick||Y + Y + Y||Kirby delivers a final and still more powerful kick.||70|
|Friend Throw||Anyone||Kirby/Knuckle Joe throw a friend, and they fly around the screen, hitting any enemies they come across.||None|
In the Super Smash Bros. series
Some of Fighter's attacks are used as part of Kirby's regular attacks, in particular the Vulcan Jab and the Spin Kick. Fighter is one of the three Copy Abilities featured as a trophy in Super Smash Bros. Melee, the others being Fire and Ball. Fighter also appears as a trophy in Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U. In Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U, Smash Punch is also used as the finishing blow to Kirby's Vulcan Jab.
The Fighter ability in Kirby: Right Back at Ya! is most similar to the version in Kirby Super Star. The look of it is the same, with a simple red headband. Kirby uses all of the same attacks as the version in Kirby Super Star at some point in the series.
He most often gets the ability in episodes featuring Knuckle Joe, from inhaling one of his attacks. Fighter is one of his strongest abilities, used against powerful monsters like Masher, with the strongest attack being the Rising Break.
Fighter Kirby's abilities are best displayed in episode 53, where he participates in a battle royale against the Martial Arts All-Stars.
Transformation SequenceIn the transformation sequence, a band of light forms into the headband. It comically comes off his head, but he catches it and puts it on. He then makes energy pulses with his hands and does a little spin.
Fighter, along with Bomb, is the third most frequently used Copy Ability in the anime, with six appearances in total. The only time he spin kicks without Knuckle Joe is during the battle with Teacher Creature.
- Here Comes the Son (First Use)
- Monster Management
- Snack Attack - Part II
- eNeMeE Elementary
- Masher 2.0
- The School Scam
|This section is about an unreleased or cancelled game|
Fighter is seen in a screenshot for this game. He looks similar to his previous appearances. In the screenshot, it is shown that he is able to use the Vulcan Jab move, but it is unknown what other moves he would have been able to do.
|Copy the abilities of Fighter and assume the role of a mighty karate expert. Increase your power with practice!|
|(→ + B) (→ → + B) (B (Charge)) (↑ + B)|
|Go for it!|
|Hi-yaa! Hold the B Button longer for a stronger blow! That punch is an instant KO!|
|I'm a brawling Copy Ability! How long you hold 1 determines how strong or weak my attacks are! And I have a ton of them!|
|The Fighter ability is no joke, with tons of techniques to bring down the biggest baddies! Keep an eye out for opponents to knock out as you fight your way to the top!|
|This ability raises your fighting power to the max! Kirby's supersonic punches and kicks bring about infinite fighting capabilities.|
|Hit opponents with a flurry of attacks with this martial-arts ability!|
|Oh boy! It's the Fighting Copy Ability, complete with tons of techniques! Grab and throw foes with ease. You can even grab and throw...your friends! Throw them against rocks and other things you want to smash.|
|“||Kirby dons a warrior's headband and becomes a fierce fighter when he swallows an enemy skilled at physical attacks. Fighter Kirby uses many colorful punching and kicking moves as he overpowers his enemies with his sparring skills. The Vulcan Jab is just one of the many techniques Kirby can use thanks to his copying power.”|
|— Trophy description • Super Smash Bros. Melee|
|“||Kirby when he is skilled in martial arts, especially close-quarters combat. Inhaling brawny challengers like Knuckle Joe will transform Kirby, allowing him to use a bunch of fight moves like Rising Break, the heroic uppercut. His Mega Power Shot in Kirby & The Amazing Mirror, which used charged energy to take out faraway enemies, is another Fighter Kirby highlight.”|
|— Trophy description • Super Smash Bros. Brawl|
|“||"Show me your moves!" Wait—that's not Kirby's line! Regardless, he's really fired up and ready to become a fighting machine with that red headband. He knows the basics, like kicking and tossing, but he can also muster his fighting spirit to blast distant foes. ”|
|— Trophy description • Super Smash Bros. for Wii U|
|“||Attack with master's command of kicks and punches!”|
|— Kirby Battle Royale - Kirby's 25th Anniversary Copy Ability Poll|
|“||Heya, fighter! Go give 'em a knuckle sandwich for me! When you see an opening, use your Giga Force Blast to knock 'em out!”|
|— Knuckle Joe • Kirby Battle Royale|
|“||Quick punches and kicks will lead to victory. Charge up for force blast attacks!”|
|— Official Kirby Battle Royale Website|
In Other Languages
The meaning of the name of the Fighter ability is mostly consistent throughout languages. In Japanese, it is ファイター (Faitā), meaning Fighter. Similarly, its German name, Kämpfer, means Fighter, and so does its Spanish name, Luchador. The French name, Combat, is slightly different in that it means Fight. Besides from that, both the Italian name, Lottatore, and the Chinese name, 格斗家 (Gédòu jiā), mean Fighter.
- The red headband Kirby wears for this ability is said to be a homage to the Street Fighter character, Ryu, though this reference has been neither confirmed nor denied.
- An even bigger reference to that series, however, may be that Fighter Kirby can use fighting techniques like firing energy blasts or "Hadoken" (Surge Fist). In addition, his Rising Break bears distinct similarities to Ryu and Ken's "Shoryuken" (Rising Dragon Fist) attack and his Aerial Spin Kick resembles the Tatsumaki Senpukyaku (Tornado Whirlwind Leg) or "Hurricane Kick". Kirby's Somersault Kick and Moon Somersault Kick is also exactly like Guile's Somersault/Flash Kick. The idea that the Fighter ability is a homage to the Street Fighter series is further evidenced by the fact that to perform the Instant Mega Blast in Kirby's Return to Dream Land, the Hadoken's button input must be used.
- In Kirby: Squeak Squad, Fighter Kirby hops in place while putting his arms up during his idle stance, in a similar fashion to a character in the Street Fighter franchise.
- The Vulcan Jab and its variants could also be homages to martial arts anime, which often feature characters firing a multitude of punches at breakneck speeds in such a way that it creates the illusion of multiple fists attacking the target simultaneously.
- Another possible reference to Street Fighter is that Kirby has different moves depending on whether the player taps or holds the attack button, which is a mechanic that is always used in that series.
- With the exception of Kirby Fighters and Kirby Fighters Deluxe, when Red Kirby obtains the Fighter ability, he gains a white headband instead of the trademark red.
- The artwork of Fighter Kirby in the anime can be seen on the front of the US and European box art of Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land, despite Fighter not being in the game, though it could be Backdrop given the very similar headband, and that the headband itself also doesn't have the cut fraction seen in Fighter's anime artwork.
- Fighter Kirby's flavor text in Kirby's Return to Dream Land appears to be Kirby talking, as the text speaks in first-person, similar to most flavor texts for the UFO ability.
- This is one of the only four abilities in Kirby: Triple Deluxe that can break ice blocks, the others are Fire, Hammer, and Circus.
- In Kirby Fighters Deluxe, Fighter's alternate costume is Knuckle Joe's headband.
- According to the What's YOUR Kirby Copy Ability? quiz, Fighter Kirby likes to garden in his downtime.
- In Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Kirby wears a headband similar to Fighter after copying Snake's special move.
Sprites and Models
Other Ability Icons