Appearance and personality
ChuChu is a pink Flapjack octopus with a large red bow on the back of her head, has rosy cheeks, and has purple eyes (silver in the opening of Kirby's Dream Land 3 and blue sky in Kirby Star Allies). She is infatuated with Kirby and it is implied that she is a romantic interest. Although sweet to Kirby, she is shown to be very short tempered with the other animals.
ChuChu, as well as all the other animal friends, have the ability to share and enhance whatever ability Kirby currently has. When Kirby is paired with ChuChu, she can swallow enemies while underwater, and ChuChu has her unique ability to stick onto ceilings and "walk" on them, but she can't do the same with walls. Her best friend is Nyupun.
|Burning||Kirby will spray a highly focused jet of flame that barely extends in front of him. While breathing flame, pressing the jump button causes Kirby to use ChuChu as a hot air balloon.|
|Needle||ChuChu develops and fires off needles in five directions. These needles are weak and have a very small range.|
|Spark||Similar to the Laser ability from Kirby's Adventure, but continues after damaging an enemy or block. ChuChu charges up electricity in one arm, eventually releasing it. This beam will bounce off hills and walls if it is charged, with the number of bounces being determined from the charge time.|
|Cutter||ChuChu becomes the cutter and Kirby then swings her around.|
|Ice||ChuChu uses Kirby's ice breath to make snowballs and toss them at enemies.|
|Parasol||Kirby and ChuChu ride atop a spinning parasol. Both seem to be laughing while this ability is being used.|
|Stone||ChuChu grabs Stone Kirby and swings him around. Movement while performing this is possible. This is also one of the few variations of the stone ability that have no effect in the downward direction.|
|Clean||ChuChu and Kirby fly on a broom. This ability only damages enemies who come into contact with the rear end of the broom. ChuChu seems to be covering Kirby's face.|
When the player mixes the Stone and Cutter abilities, Kirby gains the mix ability Animal Statues, which lets him turn into statues of any of his past animal friends, including ChuChu. Kirby can hop around when becoming this statue.
ChuChu appears as a collectible sticker.
ChuChu appears as a part of Cleaning's ability sets.
In the Super Smash Bros. series
ChuChu appears as a novice-class support spirit in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate which can be obtained after fighting Jigglypuff on the Dream Land 64 stage with sticky floors. When applied to a fighter, the fighter will have a Super Leaf equipped.
|The following section contains transcluded content from the Database. Source: (view • edit • help)|
|Theme - Kine|
ChuChu's name may be derived from the Japanese onomatopoeia chu, the sound of a kiss. This could be in reference to her femininity.
|“||A flask that calls to mind a mysterious girl. The power of love that it holds heightens a number of abilities.”|
|— Weapon Description • Team Kirby Clash Deluxe|
|“||Modeled on a stalwart companion from another adventure. If it seems to move on its own, that's just a trick of the light.”|
|— Armor Description • Team Kirby Clash Deluxe|
- Many of ChuChu's abilities revolve around either Kirby and her holding hands, or spinning while looking in each other's eyes, as well as the duo constantly giggling as if content with each other's presence. This is used to guess at a romantic relationship, which became a running gag in the (non-canon) manga where she is shown to have a crush on Kirby. In addition, one of the level intros shows Gooey flirting with ChuChu and her reacting violently, and another shows ChuChu and Kine fighting over Kirby's companionship.
- Unlike other animal friends, who inhale enemies or have Kirby inhale them, ChuChu reaches out her arm and if she catches an enemy, she drags it into Kirby's mouth; essentially, using ChuChu gives Kirby Gooey's tongue-lash in place of an inhale.
- As seen in Sand Canyon's intro scene, ChuChu has teeth.
- ChuChu is the only female Animal Friend, and the only Animal Friend to wear any form of clothing.
- ChuChu has the same color scheme as Kirby.
- ChuChu appears both as a sticker and as a stone statue via the use of Kirby's Stone ability (or Smash Bros. stone move) in Kirby: Planet Robobot.
- On February 13, 2017, ChuChu appeared in artwork on the official Kirby 25th anniversary Twitter account, alongside Drawcia, Susie, Ribbon, Queen Sectonia, Elline, Claycia, Bouncy, and Adeleine. This marks the first time she has made an official appearance in Kirby media since Kirby's Dream Land 3.
- ChuChu's Needle attack became a standard Needle move in Kirby's Return to Dream Land and later games, though it had much greater range and damage. Kirby's Spike Bomb ability from Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards also seems to be based on this attack.
- ChuChu's likeness is used in Team Kirby Clash Deluxe. Kirby can purchase and use the Chuchu Flask and Chuchu Cap from the Shoppe, both of which are based on ChuChu's appearance.
- ChuChu shares her name with jelly-like creatures of The Legend of Zelda series.
- ↑ Kirby's 20th Anniversary Celebration Book