|“||I was the king of insects!”|
|— Bugzzy • Kirby Star Allies|
Bugzzy is a recurring mid-boss in the Kirby series. Upon his debut in Kirby's Adventure (as well as its remake), he yielded the Backdrop ability when inhaled. In all subsequent appearances, he yields the Suplex ability when inhaled.
- 1 Physical Appearance
- 2 Games
- 3 In Kirby: Right Back at Ya!
- 4 In the Super Smash Bros. series
- 5 Related Quotes
- 6 In Other Languages
- 7 Trivia
- 8 Videos
- 9 Artwork
- 10 Gallery
- 11 Sprites and Models
- 12 Other Helper Icons
Bugzzy appears to be based on a stag beetle, having enormous mandibles with which he can grab and slam Kirby. He has four thin, yellow limbs, and wears white gloves on his hands and white shoes on his feet. Bugzzy is also capable of flight, behavior common among beetles, but much unlike them, his wings are almost always exposed, even when he rests. His carapace is typically purple or indigo (with a faint teal iridescence in Kirby Star Allies), and the rest of his body is a darker blue, with his exposed underbelly also being blue.
Bugzzy's main tactic is to dash toward Kirby in a straight line in an attempt to grab him with his mandibles. Once Kirby is in his grasp, Bugzzy will either leap forward and drive him into the ground, slam him backwards or pound him repeatedly. Bugzzy may also fly into the air and hover in pursuit of Kirby, and will ensnare him if he gets close enough. Bugzzy supplies ammunition to use against himself in the form of two Bugzzy Jrs. that he releases into the air. These ladybugs slowly flutter and home in on Kirby. Luckily, they are frail; Stars spat at them will penetrate through them the same way Double Stars usually pass through regular enemies. The charge-up time for his grab attack is much shorter than in the later game, Kirby Super Star, and can catch inattentive players off guard.
|This section contains information that does not coincide with the main series canon.|
Bugzzy is faced as the tenth challenger in the Avalanche tournament and is a part of the Harder tier of enemies. He is fought after Lololo and Lalala and before Paint Roller. His dialogue with Kirby is below.
- Bugzzy: "ROOAAAAAAARRR!!!!!"
- Kirby: "Oh, I'm so scared!"
Bugzzy returns in these games as a mid-boss. His actions remain the same as in his initial appearance, though his size is no more twice the size of Kirby now. He is weak to the Sizzle and Blizzard elements. Bugzzy now gives Suplex instead of Backdrop. Bugzzy also is the Helper for the Suplex ability. As an ally, his color scheme is changed to a purple exoskeleton and a blue body, which has since become his main coloration in the series. As a Helper, he has access to the same attacks Suplex Kirby uses. He can perform the Torrent Lariat underwater, albeit without needing to grab an enemy. Along with Bonkers, Bugzzy is the largest Helper and stands twice as tall as the other ones. In Kirby Super Star Ultra, Bugzzy appears in Helper to Hero, with an orange shell and a purple belly.
Bugzzy appears in Kirby: Triple Deluxe in the form of a keychain.
Bugzzy returns in Kirby Star Allies as a mid-boss. He still provides the Suplex ability when inhaled, and reprises his role as the ability's friend. As a mid-boss, he has access to new attacks, such as the Back Breaker, and a mid-air Dash Grab. A stronger version of Bugzzy also appears in later stages, with a black exoskeleton, a red belly, red eyes and purple limbs. This version's Dash Grab lasts longer, and he can change directions while dashing. He also has access to the Pinpoint Kick. In addition, he can also dash diagonally while in the air, and will send out four Bugzzy Jrs. instead of two.
Bugzzy appears in the game's boss rush mode, The Ultimate Choice, as a part of Mid-Boss All-Stars #2. He appears in seven levels of difficulty (Mild Stroll, Zesty Expedition, Spicy Adventure, Sizzling Threat, Fiery Showdown, Infernal Crisis and Soul Melter).
During Soul Melter EX, Twin Buggzy is fought instead.
|This section contains information that does not coincide with the main series canon.|
|“||Hahaha! That's one ugly bug! Now go get Kirby, Beetle Boy!”|
|— King Dedede • Kirby: Right Back at Ya!|
Bugzzy appears in the anime as a monster purchased from Nightmare Enterprises by King Dedede in the third episode Kirby's Duel Role, after he discovers that Kirby is no good at swordplay while observing his "duel" with Meta Knight. In the anime, Bugzzy doesn't attack with his pincers or the throwing techniques as he does in the games. Instead, he brandishes a large curved sword in battle, along with a giant club. Kirby initially tries to inhale Bugzzy entirely, but to no avail (a reference to the fact that in the games Kirby cannot inhale mid-bosses until they are defeated). But with Meta Knight's help and Tiff's instruction, Kirby inhales Bugzzy's sword and gets the Sword ability. Angered, Bugzzy focuses his power and creates two even larger swords which he then brandishes against Kirby. Sword Kirby begins to futilely fight Bugzzy until Meta Knight reminds him to focus his power, at which point Kirby falls asleep. Just before Bugzzy can land a decisive blow, Kirby wakes up and uses the Sword Beam attack. Bugzzy tries to block it, but the beam shatters his swords and cleaves him in half.
Bugzzy was one of the few game enemies to come into the anime and not give an ability it is associated with (in this case, Sword). It is worth noting, though, that the abilities that Bugzzy usually give, Backdrop and Suplex, do not appear in the anime. Most probably because the designs for those abilities were already taken (Fighter and Throw, respectively)
Bugzzy is a large stag beetle-like monster with tan shoes and gloves, orange limbs. His body is colored light blue and his head and wings behind his back are dark blue. He has a set of large eyes and a pair of mandibles.
Powers and Abilities
Bugzzy can fly at high speeds thanks to the wings behind his back and is armed with a massive club and sword for battle, he can also summon two larger hand held swords for battle.
In the Super Smash Bros. series
|“||Don't let the overly aggressive Bugzzy intimidate you.”|
|— The Cast of Characters • Kirby's Avalanche Instruction Booklet|
|“||One of Kirby's foes. Those unlucky enough to get too close will get body-slammed with Bugzzy's vicious pincers. He also releases smaller bugs. Kirby can copy the ability to body-slam by inhaling him. In Kirby Super Star, this ability is called Suplex. It's just one of many pro-wrestling moves he can use.”|
|— Trophy description • Super Smash Bros. Brawl|
|“||This enemy is a huge wrestling fan—he'll do his best to try out some wrestling moves on his enemies. If Kirby manages to avoid his attacks and swallow him, Kirby can bust out some wrestling moves too. Bugzzy can also release ladybugs to attack, but I think that's against wrestling rules...”|
|— Trophy description • Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS|
|“||This aging insect king passed on his title to someone younger. Now he’s off to fight dark forces with techniques that would put a wrestler to shame. What a mandible!”|
|— Guest Star ???? Star Allies Go! description • Kirby Star Allies|
In Other Languages
|Names, etymology and in other regions|
|Language||Name||Definition, etymology and notes|
|Japanese||Translates to Bugzzy.|
|Traditional Chinese||Translates to Large Stag Beetle.|
|Simplified Chinese||Translates to Large Stag Beetle.|
|German||Bugzzy||Same as English.|
|French||Bugzzy||Same as English.|
|Italian||Bugzzy||Same as English.|
|Spanish||Bugzzy||Same as English.|
- Bugzzy's Kirby's Adventure artwork depicts him with two yellow antennae, despite his in-game sprites lacking them. In all future appearances, he lacks them.
- In Kirby's Avalanche, Bugzzy's AI is that of Zombie from Puyo Puyo.
- In Kirby Super Star, Bugzzy moves his fists up and down when dashing. This was changed in the remake.
- While Bugzzy could use his wings to fly as a mid-boss, he could not use them as a helper until Kirby Star Allies.
- While being a helper, if Bugzzy Space Jumps to Kirby while he is beneath a low roof, Bugzzy will not be able to move, the only way to get out is by warping back to Kirby after he is out of said low roof. This also happens with Bonkers, another large helper.
- Bugzzy appears in the English commercial for Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land. In it, he uses his design from Kirby: Right Back at Ya! and is shortly seen being defeated by Mike Kirby among others.
- Bugzzy's game appearances in his trophy description in Super Smash Bros. Brawl are listed out of order.
- The appearance of Hornhead, a mid-boss in Kirby: Triple Deluxe, pays tribute to Bugzzy, as both are mid-bosses based on beetles. The dynamic between characters based on rhino beetles (Kabuto) and stag beetles (Kuwagata) is a very common trope in Japanese media, and due to that, it's suggested that Hornhead may serve as Kabuto counterpart to Bugzzy's Kuwagata.
- Despite the Beetle Copy Ability appearing in Kirby Star Allies, along with Bugzzy being a beetle himself, he still represents the Suplex ability.
- However, Bugzzy is a stag beetle, while Beetle ability is based on Japanese rhino beetle. Given the Kabuto/Kuwagata dynamic in Japanese media (stag beetles and rhino beetles serving as counterparts to each other), it would make no sense for Bugzzy, a Kuwagata, to give a Copy Ability based on Kabuto.
- While Bugzzy is commonly depicted with two sets of wings beneath his elytra, in Kirby Star Allies Bugzzy has only one set of wings.